Category: Programme - Tags: Workshop - 2018.05.27
Discovering abandoned places in Tuscany
27. Mai 2018 - 03. Juni 2018
Volterra Watercolor Workshop with Majid Modir
Watch the movie here:
I have always been fascinated by lonely, old and forgotten places which have many tracks and stories to tell.
(See some examples of my previous watercolors here below).
Now we have located some favorite spots in Tuscany which we will visit and where we will paint on spot.
There will be different locations with different characters for each day:
– Part of the famous ex hospital of Volterra (Palazzo Ferri)
– Two historical villas
– A car graveyard
– An old beautiful „spa center“ (Terme) with surrounded gardens
(See some images here below)
The educational part will be focusing on:
– Improvement of watercolor technique (as plein-air-painting)
– Values, Contrasts and colors as the basis (instead of lines)
– Achieving the soul and beauty of a desolated place (instead of people)
The guest teacher will be the talented & multifaceted swedish artist and professional urban sketcher Anders Mohlin from Stockholm.
See a selection of his sketches here:
Date: Week #22, May 27th – June 3rd
Place: The workshop will be in held the beautiful Villa Guadalupe in Volterra, as the working base and also as the accommodation for a limited number of participants.
Number of participants: minimum 6, maximum 12
Daily activity: 5 days of instructions, trips to the locations, reviews, and a final public exhibition of the works in Volterra.
The whole arrangement will be as a package and you just need to buy your tickets, the rest will be taken care of:
– 5 days of course and trips
– Guided tour in the abandoned big hospital area
– Painting & sketching supplies: High quality Hahnemühle watercolor paper block and a Moleskin sketch book, basic watercolor paints and brushes
– 7 days of lodging including breakfast (the first 6 guests will stay in the villa and the rest in the nearly located agriturismo)
– 5 days of lunch and dinner (you have 2 free days to explore the town and the restaurants)
– Transport from Pisa airport to Volterra & Back, and between the villa and the locations
Total cost: 985€ per person
Finally you can find some images from last year’s first edition of our workshop in collaboration with Urban Sketchers here:
Please send your interest e-mail to:
It will to be an unforgettable creative workshop with good company in a beautiful villa which offers the best Tuscan meals as well, I hope you will join the adventure :-)